When an employee in my department is receiving salary support from a sponsored billing agreement, will I receive an account set-up in GMAS? Where will I be able to find a copy of the sponsored billing agreement in GMAS?

Because incoming billing agreements are not considered sponsored awards, even when issued from a sponsored award, an account will not be established in GMAS (and a request for the funding should not be created in GMAS).  Once the billing agreement is approved and signed, a fully executed copy will be stored in the document repository in the individual’s person profile in GMAS.

What is a billing agreement?

A billing agreement is a binding agreement between two local institutions that is utilized when an investigator/researcher/trainee is an employee of one institution and is performing work at another local institution.  Billing agreements are for the reimbursement of salary and fringe to the investigator’s/researcher’s/trainee’s primary institution and avoids the issuance of dual paychecks and benefit plans. 

When the work is being performed at Harvard and Harvard is reimbursing another institution for its employee’s salary and fringe, the agreement is referred to as an...

Read more about What is a billing agreement?

G-2-P accounts - wait, I have more questions! Who can I reach out to for more information?

  1. A “Task Force” is being established to ensure consistency and to address any questions or issues that arise in the process.  More information will follow as this group is developed.

  2. Until further information about the task force is available, for questions arising at HMS, use the below contacts:

    1. Pre-award contact: Melissa Korf, Melissa_Korf@hms.harvard.edu, 617-432-1247

    2. Post-award contact: Marc Todesco, Marc_Todesco@harvard.edu, 617-496-4070

    3. Feel free to reach out to both Melissa and Marc if you are...

Read more about G-2-P accounts - wait, I have more questions! Who can I reach out to for more information?

G-2-P transition - what when we are subrecipient?

For subawards scheduled to receive continuation funding in FY2016 and set-up in task logic, confirm whether and how the subaward will be impacted by the transition BEFORE incurring any expenses after the end date of the FY2015 budget period.  Recommend reviewing subaward, and confirming with PTE, if necessary, 60-90 days in advance of the FY2015 budget period end date.  If the PTE will need us to request approval for carry-over as a result of the transition, a new subactivity for the transitioned award will be required.

G-2-P transition - if I have to move costs from the old to the new account group as a result of the transition, will these journal adjustments be subject to the Cost Transfer Policy?

  1. The Cost Transfer Policy has been updated to add the following to the section regarding “Journal Adjustments Exempt from the Cost Transfer Policy if Completed within 90 Days”

    1. Adjustments of direct costs between account groups set up to comply with the DHHS G to P re-classification when:

      1. There are no carryforward restrictions

      2. It is a non-competing year

G-2-P transition - the award has been transitioned; now what?

  1. Subaccount transitional FFR is due within 90 days of the end of the FY15 budget period.

  2. For awards that allow automatic carry-over, carry-over will need to be processed once the FFR has been submitted.  OSP and SPA will work together to ensure that automatic carryforwards are processed timely after the FFR submission.  There is no change in process for carryforward requiring prior approval.

    1. Once the carry-over for the award has been processed, we will need to process the carry-over for any subawards.