All grants and contracts have end dates that require a variety of closeout procedures:
- Final financial report
- Final invoice Reporting of inventions and patent results
- Listing of equipment purchases and equipment ownership information
- Final technical progress report providing the sponsor with the results of the research
Timeliness of reporting and closing is crucial to sound grants/contracts management to assure full compliance with agency regulations and to assure collection of all monetary reimbursement for costs incurred. These functions are tested as part of the annual OMB A-133 audit as well as by other sponsoring agencies when they make periodic visits to Harvard.
The procedures to follow for proper closing out of a sponsored research account are as follows:
- Review the Terms of Award to ensure that all deliverables are submitted by the designated due dates. These might include Final Technical Reports, Final Invention Statements, and Property Reports. Contact your SPA representative for further information on completing and processing all non-financial closeout documents. Questions on financial closeout should be directed to your OSP representative.
- Pay special attention to the policies and procedures regarding Unreconciled Accounts.
- Ensure that Effort Reports have been submitted for all completed quarters encompassed in the project period. Questions regarding effort reporting should be directed to: HSPH: Kristie Froman, HMS/HSDM: Nadege Volcy.
- Request billing code changes for recurring expenses such as Telecom charges.
- Work with OSP representative to complete any necessary final financial reports and/or invoices.